July 31, 2015

Little Women

I hate to admit that I recently read Little Women, for the first time. Yes, that's me. I know the story. I love the story. But, I only knew the story as seen in the movies. And, I must say, I have fallen completely in love with this classic. And, I wish someone had made me read it in high school, because it is that thought provoking. And then again, I wish in college someone had said, "Read Little Women." And again as a new wife. Now that I've found it, I will read it again and again. There is so much to learn about life from reading a story, a true classic story. A true classic story about a family. If you want to learn how to be a better mother, sister, friend, wife, daughter...read Little Women. If you're hurting in your relationships, read Little Women. If you're want to see the ins and outs of family life, read classic stories about family. (If you need a recommendation, read Laddie by Gene Statton Porter.)

My favorite part of the book is when Jo meets her temper head on. She's angry at her sister Amy. Amy burned her manuscript that she had worked so hard on in a vengeful act. Jo is not only crushed by the loss, but also angry. The next day Jo goes ice skating with her friend, Laurie, and Amy tags along, unwanted. Amy falls through the ice at Jo's own negligence. Laurie and Jo save Amy. And then, the most powerful conversation on anger takes place between Jo and her mom.
"Laurie did it all; I only let her go. Mother, if she should die, it would be my fault;" and Jo dropped down beside the bed, in a passion of penitent tears, telling all that had happened, bitterly condemning her hardness of heart, and sobbing out her gratitude for being spared the heavy punishment which might have come upon her."
"It's my dreadful temper! I try to cure it; I think I have, and then it breaks out worse than ever. Oh, mother! what shall I do! what shall I do?" cried poor Jo, in despair.
The conversation continues for 3 more pages. Mrs. March tells of her own weakness with anger and how she has worked 40 years to overcome it, how she still feels angry every day and hopes in 40 more years to not even feel the anger. She shares how her husband helps her remember to be the example to her daughters.

There in that conversation, my own struggle with anger is seen. It is real. It is human. It is honest. I am not alone. Best of all, the mother/daughter scene ends with pointing Jo towards her relationship with God. Mrs. March says,
"If I don't seem to need help (while her husband is away at war), it is because I have a better friend, even than father, to comfort and sustain me. My child, the troubles and temptations of your life are beginning, and may be many; but you can overcome and outlive them all, if you learn to feel the strength and tenderness of your Heavenly Father as you do that of your earthly one. The more you love and trust Him, the nearer you will feel to Him, and the less you will depend on human power and wisdom. His love and care never tire or change, can never be taken from you, but may become the source of lifelong peace, happiness, and strength. Believe this heartily, and go to God with all your little cares, and hopes, and sins, and sorrow, as freely and confidingly as you come to your mother."
Jo's only answer was to hold her mother close, and, in the silence which followed, the sincerest prayer she had ever prayed left her heart, without words; for in that sad, yet happy hour, she had learned not only the bitterness of remorse and despair, but the sweetness of self-denial and self-control; and, led by her mother's hand, she had drawn nearer to the Friend who welcomes every child with a love stronger than that of any father, tenderer than that of any mother.
Beautiful. In that moment, I found the mother I aspire to be to my own children, especially my daughters: to bring them closer to Heavenly Father and testify to them of His goodness, to share my own weaknesses and how I overcame them, weaknesses that are real. No study, no fact filled textbook could have done for me what that 1 chapter did.