April 6, 2015

Responsibility to Seek, Live, Share and Defend Truth



In General Conference I learned a powerful truth that witnessed to me why I need to follow through and share. Sister Cheryl A. Esplin said, "Many of us have been baptized and have received the gift of the Holy Ghost, whose role it is to reveal and teach the truth of all things.2 With the privilege of that gift comes the responsibility to seek truth, to live the truth we know, and to share and defend the truth."

So, here I go...

Let me first introduce myself briefly. I am a mother of 4 children: a 7 year old daughter, 3 year old boy/girl twins, and a 4 month old baby boy. I was home schooled for 2 years: 5th and 6th grade. I was part of Benjamin Franklin Academy which was run by Glenn Kimber. My mom worked for him doing trainings and administrative things. I met Cleon Skousen and fell in love with all things about an agency education. I attended many trainings with my mother and it must have sunk deeper into me than I knew at the time. I loved listening to Brent DeGraff teach about US History and God’s hand in the establishment of our country. Long story short, I went back to public school. Every year I prayed and longed to be home schooled, but it wasn’t the Lord’s plan for me. Flash forward a few years and as a young mother, I sent my oldest to kindergarten. We live in Iowa; it’s full day kindergarten. We fell apart. She lost her trust in me and believed I knew nothing. She cried on the weekends because she was not at school. I always planned to home school my children….eventually. As I pondered and prayed to know what to do I was led to this blog. Her words about why she home schools cut like a knife. I knew I had to test her words and experience. I knew my answer was to home school…NOW. It was time.